Markku “Luigi” Nord is one of the pioneers in Finnish golf travel industry. For decades, he has planned and arranged trips to the world’s best golf destinations as well as golf-related theme events. Nowadays he organizes them through his “Via Nord” company.
Via Nord was founded for the need of personal, tailored services. With us the customer is always in the centre. That’s why quality, service and experience are natural for us – because we want to give our customers the best they can get. The customers have a direct connection to us and we have a direct connection to our partners. We know exactly what we’re offering. And you’ll always know that you can count on what you’re receiving. Whether it is a golf event, golf rounds played during a trip, the hotel, carefully chosen restaurants, food and wines – the athmosphere. The whole package is always tailored for your needs.
Our trips are primarily group trips with a theme and have a high-class, interesting and polished content. The end goal is that the customer always gets a bit more than could have been expected. The same goes with events organized in our home country. “I want to create unique golf events and amazing experiences that people and companies feel and remember”, Luigi sums up about his mission.
LUIGI´S JOURNEY IN A NUTSHELL
“My travel career started with Finnmatkat-Finntours (current TUI) in December 1984 as ski instructor. The destination of my first season was Canazei-Campitello in the Italian Dolomites. From those times came the nickname Luigi and it has sticked with me ever since. Over six years abroad in various Finnmatkat destinations, winters as a destination manager in the alps and summers mainly in Riccione Italy. This time period (Finnmatkat Golf was started year 1986) also includes the golfguide jobs in Algarves Vilamoura and Tenerifes Golf del Sur.
Years 1990-1999 went by rapidly in the main office of Finnmatkat in Helsinki – my job description included sales of group trips, retail for travel agencies around Finland, production of active holidays and responsibility of the golf travel product. From year 1995 onwards Finnmatkat Golf started the co-operation with the advertising agency Resepti. Owners behind the company were Lassi and Popo Tilander. In addition we organized many hugely popular Classic -Golfweeks with Lassi from the early years of 90s. When our collaboration tightened I became a partner (year 2000) and we started the golf tour operating business with the name Golfresepti Travel.
Through the years travel and golf has become a way of living. It has given me a lot – most valuable things for sure are numerous friendships throughout the years and all over the world. Job has always been done through joy, with a big heart and with respect. Actually for over 30 years and the journey continues.”
MARKKU “LUIGI” NORD
- In the heart of Finnish Golf Tourism since 1986
- Product Manager in Finnmatkat (TUI)
- Founder of Golfresepti Travel
- Founder of Via Nord 2018-
- Board member of the Association of Finnish Travel Industry (Partner Committee)
- Twice Finland´s Best Outbound Golf Tour Operator 2014 and 2015 (World Golf Travel Awards)
- Best Golf Event Organizer Award 2013 (Finnish Golf Union Gala)
- Best Golf PR Award 2015 (Finnish Golf Union Gala)
- IAGTO Outstanding Service Award winner 2021 (IAGTO Awards)
- IAGTO member (The Global Golf Tourism Organization)
- IGTWA member (International Golf Travel Writers Association)
- SMAL member (The Association of Finnish Travel Industry)
- Via Nord produces and executes high-class golf trips in collaboration with chosen partners
- Travel Blogs
- Enhances the golf travel culture both abroad and in Finland (Suomi Golf)